Jones plugs, or similar sorts of plugs

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri May 22 17:11:09 CDT 2009

> On the subject of Jones plugs, What about the smaller types? Some
> video equipment uses an 8 pin plug, but it's not very big, only about an
> inch wide and a half inch tall, two pins tall by four pins wide. This
> is used for RGB video on some stuff I have here, and it would be real
> handy to have the correct plug to fit it. Is this a jones plug?

I know the connector you're refering to, I've seen it used both for
RGB+Sync video and for composide video + line level audio input/output
(in both cases there are 4 signals and 4 grounds on the connector).

It's not a Jones plug. Jones plugs have flat pins, this one had round
pins. I've seen it refered to as a 'JIS connector', but I can't believe
that's the right name. I can see if any of the video recorder service
manuals I have give a more accurate name.