1964 Antique MODEM Live Demo

Warren Wolfe lists at databasics.us
Fri May 29 01:40:40 CDT 2009

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 28 May 2009 at 16:29, Fred Cisin wrote:
>

>> We saw him dial, and put the handset into the cradle, but he did NOT
>> shut the lid.  The notch is there for a reason.  If you don't close
>> the lid, ambient noise, such as a nearby printer or 026, can be a
>> problem.
>>

> Yeah Fred, but a modern laptop isn't nearly as noisy as an ASR33!  I
> don't recall Silent 700 terminals having any such lid on the acoustic
> coupler.

The ASR I used in high school, and the one I bought, both had acoustic
couplers that had rubber seals around both sides, and fit a Western
Electric simple phone precisely.  As a matter of fact, when you would
remove the phone, it would make a sucking kind of 'pop' noise when the
phone came out of the cradle.  There was no lid involved.  A picture of
one of these beasts prior to restoration is available at:

http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/pics/old_front.shtml?large

The rubber cups are missing, though...

Warren