Boustrophedonic printer errors?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri May 29 12:26:52 CDT 2009

> While reading :
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon
>
> I found "Sometimes computer printers with a typewriter-like
> moving type head print boustrophedon if set up wrongly."
>
> Which old printers might've done that?

Hmmm.. Many dot matrix printers (impact and injet) print bidirectionally,
but I've never come across one (no matter how old) that didn't buffer the
data intenrally, so the host sent the characters in left-to-right order
for all line,s and the printer put them on the paper in the appropriate way.

I can imaging a firmware problem in the printer could cause it to print
some lines backwards (but wouldn't it also print the chracters left-right
reversed, which is not strictly boustrophedon?), but that's a fault I've
never seen.