Hard-sector discs -- how many sectors?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:19:04 CST 2009

On 11/19/09, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2009 at 16:55, Philip Pemberton wrote:
>
>> The real pain is going to be *testing* all this stuff. I might end up
>> tying a 4046 PLL and a counter to a 3.5" drive to make a "fake
>> hard-sector" drive, just to test the HSTMD...
>
> I've got code for a PIC12F629 around here for doing that.  Let me
> know if you'd like it.

I'd like to see it for the possibility of a project that gets bounced
around here from time to time - mounting a 12-sector (hard sectored)
pack in an RK05, but having a microcontroller emit pulses to the drive
electronics that simulate mounting a 16-sector pack - i.e. PDP-11
packs are common (I have dozens myself) and PDP-8 packs are much less
common (I have one, and I got that from another list member).  It
would be *really* handy to be able to lie to the drive about what's
installed rather than modify the packs one by one (of course, packs
formatted that way would only work in a modified drive - but if you
make the mod cheap and easy to build and install, everyone who wants
one can build/have one).

-ethan