Other disk and drive types (Was: Hard-sector discs -- how many

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Nov 20 16:46:22 CST 2009

> > 3" (Amdek, Amstrad, etc.)
> > 3.25" (Dysan)
> > are hard to distinguish from 5.25"

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Philip Pemberton wrote:
> If you can find me a drive and a pinout, I'll tell you :)

I've got the drives, but no published pinouts.  The pinout is essentially
identical to conventional 5.25" drives.  ("SA400"?)   I always used them
on unmodified PC cabling.

> > 2.8M "ED" "vertical recording" 3.5" 360 RPM, 1000K bits per second
> I've got one of these drives somewhere.. an IBM thing with no pinout or
> documentation. I know it's Shugart interface with a few extra pins added
> (the ribbon cable provides both power and data IIRC).

Will your circuitry be able to handle the doubled data transfer rate?
I think that the first 34 pins are the same.  I only have a few of those
drives, and they are many archeological layers deep.   The pinout of the
ones that IBM used on the PS/2s (with the 6 extra pins for power) might be
in the AT "Options and Adapters" Tech Ref

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com