YATYD (Was: Ten Year Rule

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Nov 24 14:50:28 CST 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Kirn Gill wrote:
> I was thinking recently, and I know that the general threshold for
> discussion on this list is ten years, but is that enough?
> As it stands, given the rule of a minimum of ten years, most early
> Pentium III PeeCees are listworthy for discussion.
> In just two more years time, the world's most popular computer operating
> system (as of the time of this email's writing) would be perfectly valid
> to discuss, even as "on-topic". 2001 to 2011 is ten years, isn't it?

NEVER!
There are better places for THAT discussion.

> I know that it's not a strict and absolute rule, being more just a
> guideline than anything, but still, is ten years enough?
> Personally, I'd give it fifteen, possibly twenty years for some piece of
> computing history to be considered listworthy.

The rule is NOT "ten years".
The rule might have been "ten years" sometime in the early 90s, but a
longer period has and is being gently and gradually phased in.  Ever since
the early nineties, increment the rule each year.
if(NEWYEAR) rule++;

Therefore, the current rule would be somewhere in the mid to upper 20s
years.

OK?

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com