YATYD: Ten Year Rule

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 14:46:40 CST 2009

> We are unable to objectively clarify what would be interesting.

Yes, I was thinking about this. Why do we like classic computers? I would
guess the reasons are different for different people here, but in my case
it's becasue they are machines that I _can_ understand the hardware (and
often the software) of. THey are machines I can have the tools and test
gear to investigate and repair them.

I suspect for some people it's nostalgia, being able to own all the
machines they read/heard about when they were starting out (I am thinking
of the micros of the late 1970's/ early 1980's). For me this is not the
case, I say that because I was unashamedly a TRS-80 person back then, and
while I now own many of the other micros of the period (Apple ][, PETs,
BBC, etc), they are by no means the machiens I am most interested in. The
machines I spend most of my time working on are machines I'd never heard
of when they were new.

> other than that, the only appropriate machines for discussion are those
> that were around when I was young[er].

Err, doesn't that include very reacent PCs? If they were around
yesterday, they were technically around when you were younger :-)