Ten Year Rule

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Nov 25 18:27:04 CST 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Tony Duell wrote:
> Personally, I'd rather have a second-hand Tektronix than a new no-name
> (and the price could well be comparable).

I am not a hardware person.  At all.
40 years ago, I bought a used Tektronix scope.  Model 512? 412? 510?
Later, somebody said to me that it was their first production model.
It was a lot of fun.

It would not have been adequate for aligning floppy drives.
I have been told that that calls for dual-trace and 20MHz or higher.  Is
that correct?

Eventually, I gave it to somebody who needed it more than I did, and I got
myself a used NLS 215.  Still not enough for floppy drive alignment.  But
lots of fun for other miscellaneous stuff.  Eventually, I sold it at VCF.
Even I miss having a scope.

Can you imagine what the world would be like if NLS had gotten into making
computers?  :-)   They'd probably grow faster than they could manage, and
end up trying to expand into tents in the parking lot!  . . . and not even
know their inventory well enough to know if something went missing!

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com