Cleaning packs

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Tue Nov 24 20:14:53 CST 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Charles H Dickman wrote:

> Guy Sotomayor wrote:
>>
>> Generally what I do is the following (note that I've only cleaned
>> RK05 and RL packs):
>> 1. blow out any dust/grime with compressed air
>> 2. do an initial cleaning of the outside of the pack with alcohol
>> and lint free cloths
>> 3. disassemble the pack
>> 4. clean platter with alcohol and lint free cloths.  This also
>> provides the opportunity to inspect the surfaces.  I toss any
>> platter that shows any abnormalities (cleaning up after a head
>> crash is too time consuming to waste on a marginal pack)
>> 5. clean the remainder of the pack with alcohol and lint free cloths.
>> 6. use lots of compressed air
>> 7. reassemble the pack
>>
>> It takes me 1/2 hour to 1 hour to clean a pack.  I do this in a
>> bright well lit and well ventilated space.  I haven't had a single
>> head crash since I started doing this.  I've probably done a few
>> dozen packs this way.  However, I have ~300 pack backlog.  :-(
>>
>> TTFN - Guy
> Seems straightforward enough. What is the source of compressed air
> and what kind of lint free cloth do you use? Does vacuum have any use?

Compressed air = air compressor with pressure regulator with filter
and water & oil trap (ie not a "hobby" air compressor).  I have a
few.  The "big" one is for running air tools (ie working on cars and
such).  My smaller one I usually have the regulator set at 20psi and I
use a "blow gun" attachment.

I purchase disposable lint free cloths.

> I imagine the process of cleaning an RK05 drive would be very
> similar. Basically remove ALL the dust and then put it back
> together. Has anyone experience in cleaning an RK05 drive? I have
> one that was left open for several years before the machine was
> decommissioned.

That's it basically except for dealing with the "DEC foam" which I
always replace (unless it's obvious that it was recently done).

TTFN - Guy