Power Macs and PC Compatibility Cards was Re: Ten Year Rule

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Nov 24 12:50:15 CST 2009

Teo Zenios wrote:

> even now I run into hard to find 68k/ppc stuff at a
> local thrift nobody else wants).

This is the window for cheap good condition PPC stuff.
Grab it while you have the chance.

My workhorse machines for data recovery are Wallstreet
Powerbooks (last laptops with SCSI).

I've been watching eBay recently, and it looks like few
last generation Quadras are showing up there (early 90's).

Systems I'm seeing there in general aren't in very good
shape, and often have the SCSI disks stripped out. Most
of the systems there are Performas/LC's, and tons of
Powerbooks.

The last year at Computer Recycling Center, pretty much
nothing from the 68K Mac era was making it to the store.

I'd stay away from the mirror-door G4's, BTW. There were
problems with heat, and they sound like a wind tunnel.