8MM Tape drives

Teo Zenios teoz at neo.rr.com
Sat Oct 3 02:42:34 CDT 2009

I hit the local recycler today and purchased a few tapes drives. Snagged a DDS3 external, DDS4 external, and a cool looking IBM drive that I was hoping might have been AIX. Turns out its an 8MM Mammoth 20/40GB drive (looks like ebay #290335147769). The drive had a couple AS/400 stickers on it and appears to be HVD (with terminator attached on the back). Are these drives pretty decent, reliable, and fast? I don't have any experience with them and grabbed it because I like collecting any kind of removable media drive I don't have. Turned it on (fan must be moving quite a bit of air by the sound of it) and the LCD went through diagnostics and then to a ready state with no tape so I assume its not DOA so far. Just curious what you guys think before I go looking for tapes and a cable to connect it to a HVD 68 pin card in my SUN U5. I assume Solaris 8 might know what to do with this thing, or PC backup software will work with it.