Free VAX/Alpha hardware

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:27:18 CDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Rob Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> If you ever image the floppies I would love to get a copy, even though I am
> not sure how I would get them to install on my MVII. Could you let us know
> if and when you do this?

These are original distro floppies from the late 1980s.  I'm honestly
not expecting 100% success on reading them, but fortunately, the
content is far from unique.

As to how you might use them - I'd expect that you'd need a stack of
RX50-formatted 5.25" floppies and the disk image files and an
Intel-based PC running Linux (or perhaps Windows) to apply the image
files to the physical media.  Armed with a stack of floppies, you'd
install VMS the way we did it in the old days - spending an afternoon
feeding floppies to SABACKUP.

I have many other things on my plate, so I wouldn't expect to get to
this before the Holidays.

-ethan