Fixing a 386SX laptop

Chuck Guzis cclist at
Fri Oct 9 09:43:36 CDT 2009

On 9 Oct 2009 at 11:04, Alexandru Lovin wrote:

> So it's the CCFL. Man, where am I gonna get a replacement for that.
> I'm pretty sure it's the fluorescent lamp since that brightness
> variation did look like a used neon tube, only less frequent - I guess
> used neon tubes vary their luminosity according to the network's
> frequency, 50 or 60 Hz. This one looked like it has much less.
> I assume I can't cheat and get it replaced with LEDs like today's LCD
> screens have ?

The first site I gave you is probably the best bet.  If you're 
desperate, they can even make CCFLs to your custom order.  Most 
likely, they have your size in stock.

I'm afraid that LEDs aren't the answer here.  They work well for 
small screens such as that on your mobile phone, but a laptop (or 
desktop) screen requires a lot of light. 


More information about the cctech mailing list