Old VMS distros (was Re: Free VAX/Alpha hardware)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 9 13:21:59 CDT 2009

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> That sounds right from what I remember.  After that point, it became a
> memory/disk space issue, not an architectural issue.  I don't recall
> when uVAX-I support was dropped, but I don't think VMS 6.0 is
> supported on an RD54 (though it _can_ be mostly wedged in there).

I'm not sure what if anything was dropped in V7.3, but here are the last
versions to support various VAXen.

VAX Systems Supported
---------------------

Unibus Based Systems
o  VAX-11/725                                           5.1-1
o  VAX-11/725                                           5.1
o  VAX-11/730                                           6.2
o  VAX-11/750                                           6.2
o  VAX-11/751                                           6.2
o  VAX-11/780                                           6.2
o  VAX-11/782                                           6.2
o  VAX-11/785                                           6.2
o  VAXft 110                                            6.2
o  VAXft 310                                            6.2
o  VAXft 410                                            6.2
o  VAXft 610                                            6.2
o  VAXft 810                                            6.2

Q-bus Based Systems
o  MicroVAX I                                           6.2
o  VAXstation I                                         6.2
o  MicroVAX II                                          7.2
o  VAXstation II                                        7.2
o  VAXstation II/RC                                     7.2
o  VAXstation II/GPX                                    7.2
o  VAXstation II/QVSS                                   7.2

> If you need it sooner, I can't imagine that I'm the only person in the
> world who still has 15-25-year-old backup media - someone must have
> much of this stuff spun up somewhere (though I can undertstand not
> wanting to make it available all the time to random passers-by).

Two things come to mind, one is that you're better prepared than most.
Secondly as many people as possible need to work on this, since not all
media will be readable.

I need to inventory my media...  I've archived some of it, but not much.

Zane