Fixing a 386SX laptop

CSquared csquared3 at tx.rr.com
Sat Oct 10 22:45:46 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Cisin" <cisin at xenosoft.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: Fixing a 386SX laptop

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Alexandru Lovin wrote:
>> I'm hoping to get a hint answer from you: ok, you want all those
>> over-the-top modifications. I think this man (or this company) can help
>> you.
>
> The problem that you are going to run into, is that those WITH those
> abilities have their OWN projects that keep them busy.  You have to
> respect that, and the fact that they are MUCH more interested in THEIR
> projects than they are in YOUR projects.
>

>> I apologize if I offended you, Sir.
>
> Mr. Guzis is not easily offended (as far as I can tell).  But, he is an
> exceptionally busy man.  You should feel honored that he took time to
> answer some of your questions.
>
> He has significant projects of his own.  If I wanted to hire him to do
> something for me, I doubt that I could afford it unless he were fascinated
> with the idea.
>
> I know somebody who builds race-cars. (Sorry, Jay, but analogies are like
> . . . )  He is currently building an electric car, because he is
> interested in it.  If I wanted him to replace the distributor on my car,
> his time would be worth more than my car is.
>

> What you need to do is to get started towards developing your own skills.
> I think that a Weller TCPN is a good beginning soldering iron.  You will
> want a GOOD VOM, but a Chinese Harbor Freight one MIGHT be adequate
> temporarily while you put the funds together.  Then start shopping for a
> used oscilloscope.
>
> Practice soldering and de-soldering.  I improved my soldering skills by
> buying a bare board of a motherboard, and soldering sockets onto it.
> Open up that Chinese VOM, and resolder every bad solder joint in it.
> When you reach the point where you can de-solder a part off of a board and
> re-solder it, or a replacement on, then you will be ready to learn what to
> do.
>
> Get a copy of "Art of Electronics", and schematic diagrams of everything
> that you own.
>
> Go to the "motherboard-man" who is near you.  Do small jobs for him, for
> free, such as making cables, etc.  Get him to tell you what he is doing on
> his projects.  Assist him.  Doing it for free IS WORTH IT!  Eventually,
> when you have acquired some skills, work out an apprenticeship with him.
> If you really help him, he will teach you everything that he knows.
> Eventually, he will start paying you to do some work for him (and to keep
> you from leaving to go work elsewhere).
>
> Soon you will be able to do your own projects.  But, you will find that in
> addition to your own projects, everybody around will want you to do
> projects for them, and there just isn't enough time.
>

> Just one more thing.
> You have to promise to train your own apprentice, and to be patient with
> him.
>

> --
> Grumpy Ol' Fred     cisin at xenosoft.com

Thanks Fred for saying that.  I don't believe I've ever read anything more
profound on this group.  Sometimes I fear that those significantly younger
than my 70 years don't understand that line of thought, and I believe the
world is poorer as a result.  In my youth a wise man once told me "If you
never do more than you are paid for, you will never be paid for more than
you do."  I took that to heart, always remembered it, always tried to live
by it, and have tried to pass it on to those who would listen.
Later,
Charlie Carothers