Alphaserver 2100 fails to power up

Doc Shipley doc at vaxen.net
Mon Oct 19 17:52:31 CDT 2009

Dan Williams wrote:
> I just turned on my Alphaserver 2100 after being powered off for
> around 6 months. It will not power up at all. I have reseated
> everything and tried a new PSU. Anyone got any ideas what would stop
> this machine from powering up ?. The service manual just mentions the
> door switch which seems ok.

   ASSuming you're working with a deskside and not a rackmount, the door
switch may be the problem.  I've had 2 AS2100s fail to power on when the
PCB in the LCD/switch panel became loose in its mounts.  It's mounted on
4 split pins and the PCB wears and I think the pins lose their spring,
so when you close the door it pushes the whole board aside instead of
closing the switch.

   The fix was insanely difficult and technically challenging - I jammed
the point of a plastic toothpick into the center of each of the split
pins and cut it off flush.  :-)

	Doc