Ampex Megastore

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Wed Oct 28 15:07:29 CDT 2009

There was also Megatape which had a proprietary tape cartridge and a
drive with a Pertec Compatable interface.  They managed to come out with
it head on into the SCSI interfaces taking over the world.  The drive
was unique in that it fit into one of the CDC 8" drive bays, which were
the ones which set 2 side by side in a 19" rack.  Pretty, but didn't
sell well, especially with the custom cartridges.

Megatape tried making Exabyte drives in a rack and eventually
liquidated, so there may be some such boxes around in peoples piles.

I also have a British made device which was "wafer scale" with a SASI
interface from the same time period, was not core, but solid state.
Don't recall the manufacturer right now, but do recall it was the solid
state memory storage unit with 6" (I think) diameter memory wafers in a
stack.

Jim