Options for Installing a TF85 Drive

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:49:23 CDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Rob Jarratt
<robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I was led to believe that a TF series drive might be able to read past a
> problematic part of a tape I have, and a TF85 has come up on eBay. The
> problem is that I do not have any DSSI-capable machine and I am not familiar
> with DSSI. I have a MicroVAX II and it seems I could use a KFQSA, but they
> seem quite expensive. I also have some VAXstation 3100s and MicroVAX 3100s,
> which are SCSI. Do I have any other options for installing the TF85?

A KFQSA M7769 isn't very expensive, at least in the US, if you find
one at the right time.  For example this one went for $25 with
bulkhead and terminators:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350264750147

No idea though if that's the best path to start going down in your
ultimate goal of reading a problematic tape.