Reading ancient paper digital media (was Re: Hamurabi Focal source)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Apr 1 14:30:32 CDT 2010

On 1 Apr 2010 at 13:25, M H Stein wrote:

> Watching one *jam* at 1200 cards per minute is even more impressive,
> especially if the sensors are dirty or misadjusted (and *especially*
> if you have to recreate the damaged cards manually)...

In the years of using a 405, I remember precious few card mishaps.
The COMSOURCE personnel were far more likely to dump your card trays
on the floor when their cart hit a filler strip

But you're right, when they happened, they were spectacular.
Multiple "accordion pleated" cards after the one causing the problem.

In many, many boxes of cards, I don't think I ever irretrievably lost
a card in a 405, however.  The pleated cards could still be fed
through a keypunch for duping.

The third-party slow-speed card readers used for Export/Import
terminals were far more mangle-prone, in my experience.

The 405 apparently could also take "short" 52-column cards at 1600
cpm also.  I don't think I've ever seen such a card.

--Chuck