chips (was Re: Reading ancient paper digital media (was Re: HamurabiFocal source))

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Apr 5 08:49:25 CDT 2010

On 4/5/10 1:07 AM, Rod Smallwood wrote:

> As to punched cards I never heard the rectangular punchings referred to as
> 'chips' on either side of the Atlantic.

I refer you, then, to most IBM punched card documentation on bitsavers.

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/cardProc/22-8485-3_operGuide_Sep56.pdf
page 13, for example:

"Chip Box
   Slightly to the right of the machine, as you look at it from the rear,
  is a removable box, which is the receptacle for the punching chips as
  they are cut out. This box can be easily removed, when necessary, by
  lifting a catch that locks it into position. The chip box should be
  removed and emptied daily."