chips vs chad

Bob Rosenbloom bobalan at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 5 15:50:01 CDT 2010

--- On Mon, 4/5/10, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

From: Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org>
Subject: Re: chips (was Re: Reading ancient paper digital media (was Re:
To: "On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Date: Monday, April 5, 2010, 12:50 PM

>> As to punched cards I never heard the rectangular punchings referred to =
>> as
>> 'chips' on either side of the Atlantic. =20
>
> Nor have I. I wonder if this is an IBM .vs. the rest of the world thing.

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/univac/univac_60_120/GMS-1011TM_UNIVAC_60_120_Service_Manual_21.pdf

page D-5: "Full Chip Pan Micro Switch"

--

Please site a printed example of the use of "chad" in a manufacturer's manual describing what
is cut out from a card.

I have now given two, from two different vendors, describing them as 'chips'.

Page 2-1 of the Decision Data 8100 manual http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/decisionData/DD-159-114_8001_8010_Operators_Man_1973.pdf

has the following:

Punched chad (or chips) from the cards fall into the chip box.

So it looks like they recognized the common usage of chad as the output of a punch.

Bob