worn edge fingers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Apr 13 16:51:28 CDT 2010

On 13 Apr 2010 at 14:14, David Griffith wrote:

> I was examining some old Vectrex cartridges and I noticed on one that
> the gold on the edge fingers has worn down to the copper below.
> What's the proper way to rehab things like this?  Wipe with some
> solder and blow off the excess with an air compressor?

Most gold is plated over a nickel flash over copper (pure gold
doesn't adhere well to copper for some reason).  If I wanted to be
near-original, I'd plate the edge contacts with electroless nickel,
then perhaps finish up with a gold brush plate.  Not cheap if you
don't have a lot to do.

Alternatively, consider electroless tin plate, such as Tinnit.
Inexpensive and should be pretty durable.

--Chuck