HP Integral questions

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 14:36:09 CDT 2010

> Yep, HP made 2 ROM version a version 1.0 which was based on BSD III
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/hp-fix/3299632917/in/set-72157623014583339/
> And they made a HP-UX 5.0 which was based on BSD V, the most usefull
> version.
> The system V is sold as update for the HP-UX 1.0.
> I'm not sure if it's sold much but the most Integrals I know of are running
> the HP-UX 5.0 version.

FWWI, both my Integrals are running 5.0.

>From what I've read, the HPUC 1.0 module was very different inside. It
was 2 PCBs (presumably with lower-capacity EPROMs) and they connected
using different connectors to the OS->option board connectors in the
later module. The option board could (obvisouly) only be used with the
HPUX 5.0 module

I don't know if the ROM PCB that fits in an expansion slot had different
contets for the 2 OS versions. It may well not have done. This PCB
appears ad a read-only disk to HPUX, and since (AFAIK) the disk-based
software ran on both versions of the OS< the ROM software may well have
done too. Certainly the physical PCB, buffers, decode logic, etc would be
the same.

And anothe question : The service manual refers to a PSU test tool. This
appears to eb some kind of dummy load device. I don't suppose anyone has
one....