Memorex 102 20MB Hard disk - Found It!

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 15:44:47 CDT 2010

> A quick update:  The drive spins up, comes ready and is passing the seek
> test in Morrow's FORMATHD.COM utility.  The header read fails on all

Sinc this drive has a transparent cover, I assume you can see the heads
moving during the seek trst.

> sectors and all cylinders, so something is still amiss.  I tried
> re-writing the sector headers (if I interpret correctly, it is possible to
> simply rewrite the headers without disturbing data in the sector proper -

That is not unheard-of. Howeever,  I would be a little wary of writing to
a drive that didn;t read correctly. If something is faulty, it's quite
possible it's going to write somewhere it shouldn't. And since the drive
fails on every sector, I would think the fualt is unlikely to be simply
bad formatting data on the disk.

> a new one on me!) but that didn't help.  No error on write, but they
> cannot be read back.

What error do you get if you try to read them? Does it manage to find
anything?

> I'll start poking around in the read logic next.  Getting closer, anyway.

I've not looked at the schematics, but I guess I'd start by seeing if (a)
it was reading anything (do you get any sensible-looking pulses at the
read data output -- and rmemeber that in 99% of drives the pusle width is
irrelevant, it's set by a monostable on the logic board, it's the pulse
spacing that defines the data), and (b) is it selecting one (and only
one) head