Amstrad (Was: Transfer files to/from N* CPM image?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 16:06:48 CDT 2010

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Tony Duell wrote:
> > The disk drive was standard -- a standard 3" unit (and the Amstrad PCW --
> > and Amstrad Z80 machines in general -- were not the only machines to use
> > that size disk). The disk cotnroler was, IIRC, a standard 765=, the disk
> > format was a normal-ish MFM one. I suyspect it would be very easy to link
> > an Amstrad 3" drive (or any other 3" drive -- some of the Hitachi ones
> > had a 34 pin edge connector with the stnadard pinout) to another machine
> > and write Amstrad disks on it.
> > Some to think of it, didn't the CPC6128 pre-date the PCW? It had an
> > external drive connector which IIRC was a standard 34 pin one. Was there
> > ever an external 3" srive unit for that machine? If so it would be very
> > easy to link to another machine.
>
> Amdek sold an external drive unit with two 3" drives.  Their advertising
> targeted the RS Color Computer.  Trivial to connect to most machines with
> a "standard" floppy interface.

Indeed...

When the 3" drive was going out of fashion over here -- when it was clear
that the 3.5" drive owuld be the standard one -- some companies were
selling off 3" drives very cheaply. I rememebr buying a couple to use as
second drives on my CoCos. IIRC they were Hitachi units with 34 pin edge
connectors and plugged straight in [1].

I also have somwhere a 3" drive that was sold for use on the BBC micro.
Again it was a standard 34 pin interface and would trivially connect to
other machines

[1] Althought I added a little bit of circuitry -- a couple of TTL chips
IIRC -- to allow it to be accessed as either a double-sided drive or 2
separate single-sided drrives. Color TRS-DOS didn't understnad about
dobule-sided drives, so it was easier to treat it as 2 separate drives
under that OS. Of course OS9 had no problems with a double-sided drive.