FTP from Windows to VMS

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 23 15:49:38 CDT 2010

Very interesting now. I booted up another VAX, also running 7.3, and I was
able to FTP to that one no problem at all. I can telnet to the "bad" VAX no
problem. Pinging is fine. I can use DECnet fine between both VAXen. I can
ping between both VAXen.

When you say run a packet capture on the VMS end do you mean run a sniffer
program actually on the VAX? If so I don't know of any software for that, do
you have a recommendation? I can run a sniffer on the PC, which is connected
to the same switch (not a hub), as this is all on single segment.

If I try to run UCX FTP on the good VAX to connect to the bad VAX this is
what I get:

FTP> conn 192.168.0.106
%TCPIP-E-FTP_NETERR, I/O error on network device
-SYSTEM-F-REJECT, connect to network object rejected

If I try the same thing from the bad VAX to the good one it works, but it
takes a while to come up with the login prompt. The same long delay happens
from the bad VAX to a Windows FTP server I have (the good VAX comes up with
the prompt right away).

There is definitely a problem with the "bad" VAX. It occurred to me there
may be some errors of some kind, so I got some info as follows:

TCPIP> sh int se0 /fu
 Interface: SE0
   IP_Addr: 192.168.0.106     NETWRK: 255.255.255.0     BRDCST:
192.168.0.255
 Cluster
    C_Addr:                 C_NETWRK:                 C_BRDCST:
                       Ethernet_Addr: AA-00-04-00-07-04    MTU:  1500
     Flags: UP BRDCST RUN MCAST SMPX
                                  RECEIVE        SEND
   Packets                           2226         115
     Errors                             0           0
   Collisions:                          0

TCPIP> sh prot
ip:
        0 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        0 with data size < data length
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 fragments received
        0 fragments dropped (duplicate or out of space)
        0 fragments dropped after timeout
        0 packets forwarded
        0 packets not forwardable
        0 packets denied access
        0 redirects sent
        0 packets with unknown or unsupported protocol
        0 packets consumed here
        0 total packets generated here
        0 lost packets due to resource problems
        0 total packets reassembled ok
        0 output packets fragmented ok
        0 output fragments created
        0 packets with special flags set
icmp:
        0 calls to icmp_error
        0 errors not generated because old ip message was too short
        0 errors not generated because old message was icmp
        Output histogram:
                echo reply: 12
        0 messages with bad code fields
        0 messages < minimum length
        0 bad checksums
        0 messages with bad length
        Input histogram:
                echo reply: 4
                destination unreachable: 35
                echo: 12
        12 message responses generated
tcp:
        45 packets sent
                18 data packets (373 bytes)
                0 data packets (0 bytes) retransmitted
                18 ack-only packets (8 delayed)
                0 URG only packets
                0 window probe packets
                0 window update packets
                9 control packets
        44 packets received
                22 acks (for 381 bytes)
                4 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                18 packets (271 bytes) received in-sequence
                0 completely duplicate packets (0 bytes)
                0 packets with some duplicate data (0 bytes duped)
                3 out-of-order packets (0 bytes)
                0 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                0 window update packets
                0 packets received after close
                0 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet was too short
        4 connection requests
        3 connection accepts
        6 connections established (including accepts)
        7 connections closed (including 2 drops)
        1 embryonic connection dropped
        25 segments updated rtt (of 26 attempts)
        2 retransmit timeouts
                0 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
        2 keepalive timeouts
                0 keepalive probes sent
                1 connection dropped by keepalive
udp:
        35 packets sent
        1405 packets received
        0 incomplete headers
        0 bad data length fields
        0 bad checksums
        0 full sockets
        1405 for no port (1405 broadcasts, 0 multicasts)
        0 input packets missed pcb cache
TCPIP>

Frankly I am mystified....

Regards