Transfer files to/from N* CPM image?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 23 16:39:29 CDT 2010

On 22 Apr 2010 at 21:50, Tony Duell wrote:

> The disk drive was standard -- a standard 3" unit (and the Amstrad PCW
> -- and Amstrad Z80 machines in general -- were not the only machines
> to use that size disk). The disk cotnroler was, IIRC, a standard 765=,
> the disk format was a normal-ish MFM one. I suyspect it would be very
> easy to link an Amstrad 3" drive (or any other 3" drive -- some of the
> Hitachi ones had a 34 pin edge connector with the stnadard pinout) to
> another machine and write Amstrad disks on it.

My own Joyce has the 3" drive replaced by two Teac 235F (720K)
drives.  If you change a couple of bytes in the boot sector of an PCW
8256 boot disk, it'll boot just fine on an 8512 as a 720K drive.

One gotcha to look out for is the power connector on the Joyce 3"
drives--it *looks* like a standard 3.5" floppy connector, but the +5
and +12 lines are exchanged.  Magic smoke time if you miss that one.

With 2 720K drives and the full complement of DRAM (512K?), the 8512
is actually a pretty decent system for general CP/M work.

--Chuck