Memorex 102 20MB Hard disk - Found It!

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 12:28:46 CDT 2010

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Tony Duell wrote:
>
> > Is this a hard sectored dirve? In any case does the cotnroller use the
> > index pulse fro anyhting? Is that presnet and correct?
>
> Sorry, didn't answer this part of your post:  From my read of the
> technical manual, it is hard sectored.  There's a dedicated index track on

Well, it _may_ be... I've had another look at the manual on Bitsavers.
There's a clock track on the bottom platter with a fixed head (as you
say). This seems ot be used as the feedback of the motor speed control,
it also can be divided down to produce the sector pulse or a bit clock.
Of course the controller doesn't have to use that signal.

Unfortuately much of this circuitry seems to be in one of the gate
arrays. This will make it difficult to debug and even more diffuclt to
repair. I hope that's not the problem.

But I woul still check it. See if tyhe motor speed feedback signal looks
sensible too while you're in there..

And also, of course ,look at the read data signal. Does it look senesible?

Could this be a controller problem? Do you know whether either the
controller of drive are definitely OK?