That darned PDP font

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:32:41 CDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM,  <schoedel at kw.igs.net> wrote:
> My impression was that he was not referring to the |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo, but
> rather the circle-based style used on the rest of that cover.

Correct.  I should have said "the typeface used for the text
'processor handbook' on that cover."  I've seen discussions of the
logo before. Interesting in its own right, but has been better
covered.

> I've spent some time off and on (but apparently not "on" in the last four years)
> on a re-creation. I started with the outline version, because there are larger
> samples available in the chapter headings of those handbooks, and when I last
> left off had completed a draft of the alphabet (lower case only, of course),
> most punctuation, and a couple digits.

I'd be interested in making use of this if you've got it, even in its
present for (lowers are just fine.)  It will be for an appropriate,
non-profit, ccmp cause ;)

> I have never found any matching commercial fonts. In the outline form, adjacent
> letters overlap by the stroke width, so they were obviously not set in metal

Yeah, I can see how "pdp11" has been run together.  Not hard to
approximate with some patience in Pshop (for an amateur like me,
anyway.)

--
jht