Emulating a smart CRT display unit - ideas?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Aug 24 19:37:40 CDT 2010

On 8/24/10 6:33 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> some of you will perhaps remember me being stuck with a problem
>> regarding a Fujitsu FANUC "mate TG" CNC controller (rebadged as
>> "Siemens Sinumerik"), of which I have the main unit but not the
>> monitor. Thanks to a very nice guy living nearby, I was provided with
>> some new information about the interface, which is rather uncommon in
>> itself. I had already guessed that there is a significant amount of
>> smarts in the monitor; the newly acquired documentation confirms this.
>> The silicon brain (CRT controller) of the thing is called LSI HD46505.
>
> I beleive the HD46505 is basically a clone of the Motorola 6845 CRTC,
> so there's not a lot of information there.

   I have a vague memory of doing a hack to an IBM PC CGA card that
enabled interlacing for a huge improvement in the readability of
character-based output.  It involved running a wire, and *I think*
replacing the 6845 with a 46505.  Does anyone else know about this?

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL