OT : The new Big Trak

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 15:11:39 CDT 2010

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Tony Duell wrote:
> > This is off-tipic for 2 main reasons : (1) the device in question is not
> > even 1 year old yet and (2) it's not a computer. But I suspect many
> > people here rememebr the MB Big Trak programmable toy tank from the early
> > 1980s, and may even rememebr the Circuit Cellar article that involved
> > modifying one. So anyway...
>
> Does anybody remember the guvmint hassles about it?  ("But the control
> circuitry of it could be installed in a real battlefield device!")

Err, no... You are joking surely.. There was nothing particularlly new or
cleaver in the originial Big Trak, otehr than it being an inexpensice
toy. The principles of the control system were surely well known by then...

> I can see one of the original ones from where I sit right now.  In the top
> box of that pile!
> The accessory trailer is no longer around, which is too bad, because that
> was what I used for "pen-up"/"pen-down" for playing with it as a large
> format plotter.  The O-rings that provided traction on the circumference
> of the wheels are rotted away, and it sat for too long with batteries in
> it, although that cleaned up surprisingly easily.
>
> Tony,
> Do you want it?

Yes please, but only if nobody else nearer to you wants it. I think
shipping it would be expensive and it may well not survive (I am told the
plastic axles break very easily, and the body plasitc is possibly brittle
by now). I would much rather it was not wrecked by United Parcel Smashers
or ParcelFarce, or ...