what was VMS/OpenVMS written in?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 16:12:06 CST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM, John Foust <jfoust at threedee.com> wrote:
> "Baby Duck Syndrome denotes the tendency for computer users to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)>"imprint" on
> the first system they learn, then judge other systems by their similarity
> to that first system.

(not that anyone will find this shocking, but...) My first few systems
were the Commodore PET (BASIC and assembly), the COSMAC Elf (1802
assembly), the PDP-8 (assembly), the C-64 (BASIC and assembly), the
Apple II (assembly), then at one job, VAX/VMS, 4BSD and Ultrix on VAX,
and assembly on the 68000 and PDP-11, pretty much all absorbed at
once.  I'll certainly confess to being imprinted on all of those -
they are still my favorite environments to play in, no matter how many
new ones I run across.  As an example of that, I use Intel (and AMD)
architecture machines for many hours of the day, nearly 365 days a
year, but they don't garner any admiration or respect from me - they
are ubiquitous but not "interesting" to me.

> Or, for example, why I'm still running a 1984 copy of Brief as my
> text editor in a DOS window on a dual-24" quad processor PC.

Fortunately I _don't_ use the Commodore screen editor or VMS EDT every
day (but I _do_ use vi every day (learned in 1997) and emacs (learned
in 1985) every week).  I never used Brief, but around 1999-2002 I did
use CRiSP, which AFAIK was heavily influenced by Brief.

*quack*

-ethan