SCSI to IDE

Charlie Carothers csquared3 at tx.rr.com
Fri Dec 3 11:08:51 CST 2010

On 12/2/2010 1:28 AM, Teo Zenios wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "joe lobocki" <jlobocki at gmail.com>

I believe if the appropriate pin is grounded on power up, the CF card
interface is exactly an IDE interface.  In this mode the adapter is just
a couple of connectors and a bunch of conductors - usually etch of
course.  Thus the adapter is really just  compensating for the connector
differences.  I think that is why they are relatively inexpensive.

You're right about SD cards replacing CF.  Not too long back I bought a
good sized CF card for my still very serviceable Canon G3 camera since I
fear the CF cards will shortly become more difficult to find.

SD cards are attractive in many ways.  For one thing, they can be
accessed via an SPI interface which saves some I/O pins on that end.
Since I really know nothing about SCSI, I don't know if that is a good
approach for a SCSI/SD adapter or not.  I wonder if there are any real
time requirements in a SCSI interface that would be impacted by talking
to the SD card in a bit serial fashion.
Later,
Charlie C.