SCSI to IDE

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 15:20:35 CST 2010

> I though the reason you limped along on your PC-AT with a 486 in it
> was that it was the latest-model PC you could get for which you had
> full schematics and so on. Machines 2 orders of magnitude show up in

Indeed I do. having the schemaitcs and source code is very important to
me. It measn I can fix the machine when things go wrong...

> skips beside the road all the time. Try your local recycling centre -
> you'll probably find piles of them, you just need to get to 'em before
> they're left out in the rain.
>
> (10sec on Google) Try Townmead - they take electricals.
> Townmead Road, Re-use and Recycling Centre, Townmead Road (off
> Mortlake Road), Kew, TW9 4EL. Telephone 020 8876 3281 for more
> details.

No matter what it now clls itself, that's the council dump. And lasttime
I checked they would not let me have old PCs quoting reasons of health
and sefet and data protection.

> If you /want/ a newer PC that's not been scrapped, I have a dual
> Athlon MP 1600+ machine in the garage. It worked, it just very
> occasionally hard-reset for no apparent reason. It's been extensively

I don;t want to seem ungreatful, but the last thing I need is a PC that
occasiuonaly reboots for no apparent reason, and which I don;t have
scheamtics for. Since this whole discussion started over programming
microcontrollers, what happens if the thing decides to reboot half way
though a programming cycle. I've come across device programs that can
damge chips under such comnditions/ And considering this PC clearly has
problems, should I really trust it to necessarily ru nthe microcontroller
development tools correctly? The last thing i need when designing
something is any more unknowns.