When did RSTS/E get networking?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Dec 14 19:26:11 CST 2010

At 2:17 PM -0800 12/14/10, John A. Dundas III wrote:
>At 3:01 PM -0700 12/14/10, Richard wrote:
>>In article <a06240806c92d8eaefd6e@[131.215.234.40]>,
>>     "John A. Dundas III" <dundas at caltech.edu> writes:
>>
>>>  At 1:43 PM -0700 12/14/10, Richard wrote:
>>>  >Either as an option from DEC or built-in.  Which version?
>>>
>>>  The earliest availability of DECnet for RSTS/E that I can find is in
>>>  V06C.  The SPD gives that as optional software.  The System
>>>  Generation manual provides the details.
>>
>>Wikipedia says this is 1979 for "DECnet Phase II".
>
>Could be.  I don't have a good timeline for DECnet.
>
>V06C was ~July 1978.
>
>John

I couldn't find the document I was looking for, but I'm pretty sure
the info it contained went into the following doc.
http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/PDP-10_11_OS_xref(V2b).pdf

Also I show that RSTS V6B came out in 1977.

At least the following versions of DECnet/E still exist; 2.0, 2.1,
4.0, and 4.1.  I've found mention of DECnet/E 4.2, but I don't
believe it was ever released, and V4.1 works on RSTS/E V10.1.  IIRC,
DECnet/E V4.1 is "DECnet Phase III".

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |