C64-C128 CP-M Cartridge Interest

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Sat Dec 25 12:02:22 CST 2010

On 12/25/2010 8:38 AM, Andrew Lynch wrote:

> I gather the form factor you have in mind is the classic C64 game cartridge?
yep, 3.35" by 2.25" sq in.
> The CP/M cartridge I recall from the 1980's was much larger than a game
> cartridge so that's were I was coming from.  I've never heard a Eurocard
> board (160x100mm) described as "enormous" but clearly you are thinking about
> a much smaller board than I was.
I agree it's a relative thing, but yes, compared to my designs, the
160x100 (6.something by 4) is extremely large in my world.
> density to fit multiple chips into a 2"x3" PCB.  It sounds more like a
> commercial product than a hobbyist project to me though.
Yep.  No offense to the list participants, but I gave up on selling
kits.  Given the hobbyist nature of my work, kits required too much of
my limited hobbyist time.  Given the assembled nature of the unit, I can
use extremely large density devices with no issues.
> Actually, the C64 ECB bridge approach idea is not using the C64/C128 as only
> dumb terminal.  It would be 3 or so general purpose IO ports.  Then the
I was referring to a previous poster who was suggesting using just the
terminal port of the N8VEM board.

> I am not familiar with the SuperCPU but based on quick web search it appears
> to be roughly Eurocard sized.  Good luck with your project.
It is rather large as well.  Though, with today's integration options,
it too could be constructed in the smaller space of a CBM game
cartridge.  In fact, it would have to be to bring the cost to something
reasonably.  People was apprehensive about a $300.00 20MHz accelerator
in the late '90s, there's no way they'd pay that much now.

Jim