Epson drives

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Dec 28 21:52:58 CST 2010

On 28 Dec 2010 at 21:26, Jim Scheef wrote:

> HP did everything it could to shoot itself in the foot. After
> promising compatibility among the 100-Series machines, the floppy
> format produced by the 9114 driven by the HP110 Portable or the
> Portable Plus was different from the format produced by the HP150.
> There were clever format programs and device driver tricks to get
> around some of these incompatibilities as well as to allow the PPlus
> to make and use 3.5" floppies that could also be read and written by
> regular DOS machines. Sometimes I find it amazing that HP has
> survived!

Let's see,

HP-150 Series I: 66 cylinders, 1 side, 16 sectors of 256 bytes
interleaved 4:1),
1,024 byte clusters, media byte FA,
128 root directory entries.
3 sectors per FAT

HP-150 Series II: 77 cylinders, 2 sides, 9 sectors of 512 bytes
interleaved 2:1),
1,024 byte clusters, media byte FA,
128 root directory entries.
3 sectors per FAT

HP-110: 77 cylinders,2 sides, 9 sectors of 512 bytes
interleaved 1:1), but only 8 used,
1,024 byte clusters, media byte FB,
176 root directory entries.
3 sectors per FAT

HP Portable Plus: 77 cylinders, 1 side, 5 sectors of 1024 bytes
interleaved 1:1),
1,024 byte clusters, media byte FC,
96 root directory entries.
2 sectors per FAT