HP drives

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 12:35:47 CST 2010

> I've seen many times where the characteristics of a 3.5" floppy are
> given as "160 tracks".  My take is that if you mean a physical head
> position, it's best to say "cylinders".

I absolutely agree, and I try to do this. Doubtless I sometimes get it
wrong, but ....

However, like the term 'DB9 connector' (which you and I both know nearly
always mean 'DE9 connector'), alas the misuse of 'track' has become
common usage. An awful lot of people would claim the 3.5" drive in a PC
was an '80 track' device. It is, of course, 160 tracks with 80 cylinders
each containing 2 tracks.

I guess what I am saying is while it helps to be correct, it also helps
to know common incorrect usage of such terms.

> Just as you would with a hard drive.  For the life of me, I don't see
> why some folks insist on treating the nomenclature for hard and
> floppy drives differently.

Alas they don't :-(. I've heard the term 'track' used for hard drives
when they meant 'cylinders'. ARGH!!!