HP Portable+ disks

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 13:50:03 CST 2010

Although the HP Portable+ Technical Reference doesn't contain anything on
the physical disk formats, there's a table in the usner manual for the
FORMAT comamnd (I've changed the headings a bit, but the data is the
same) :

Specifier  #sides   Secotr size   Capacity  Files in root dir
/w           1       256          264192         128
/x           2       256          618496         304
/y           2       512          700416         176
/z           2      1024          780288         96
none         2       512          700416         176

The default seems to be the same as other HP MS-DOS double-sided disks.

I wonder if Chuck (I think) got a disk formatted wit hthe /z option from
a Portable+ and sassumed it was the defualt?