Nicolet DSO & analog comps / was Re: Getting to dislike tantalum caps

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 14 21:57:26 CST 2010

> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:21:34 -0800
> From: hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
> To: General at invalid.domain
> Subject: Nicolet DSO & analog comps / was Re: Getting to dislike tantalum caps
>
> dwight elvey wrote:
> > I begining to dislike these things.
> > I recently got an old 2090 Nicolet DSO ( Digital scope ).
> > When I got it, it had a blown tantilum on the 5V
> > for the I/O section. I fixed this and the blown regulator
> > along with it.
>
> There are two Nicolet DSO at theradio museum here, a 1090A and a 2090-III.
> I played with the 1090 when it first arrived a few years ago, until the
> switching power supply blew up. I RE'd the power supply to produce the
> schematic but didn't get around to repairing it.
>
> The 2090 I haven't even tried powering up yet.
>
> IIRC from when I was working on it, the 1090 is 8080-based. JOOI, have you
> determined what microproc the 2090 uses?

Hi

 It uses one TMS9900 for the disk drive and another TMS9900 for the

I/O ( GPIB or serial depending on an option module ).

 The mainframe use 3 2901 bit slice.

> > I originally got it so that I could display things from
> > my analog computer ( That I'm having fun with ).
> > I powered it up and was just getting the parameters
> > right for a nice Rose Engine display when the display
> > went to a defocused dot.
>
> I'm also interested in hearing about analog computer work, would like to go back
> to working on programs for mine sometime:
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~hilpert/e/tyrotek/index.html

 There always fun to play with. I like the Rose Engine work but I'm just

begining to get the hang of it. Making an oscillator that doesn't dampen out

or clip is the first trick. Adding and multiplying are then used to combine

them into interesting things.

 Others like to use them for music synthasis or simulations of physical

problems. I just like the pictures they make.

Dwight