HP-IB, Amigo/cs80 was Re: hp 9153 floppy & disk

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 15 14:14:00 CST 2010

> Dave McGuire wrote:
> > SD and MMC can use what is more-or-less standard SPI, or a 4-bit-wide
> > interface that's more difficult to use but much faster.
>
> But as we are replacing disks which were on HP-IB, the normal few
> MBytes/sec you get out of SPI whould be sufficient.
>
> Or, what was the fastest HP-IB harddrive ?

Shpuldn't this be the 'slowest' HPIB hard drive? THe point being that if
you are too slow then it's possible some hosts will time out and give
errors, but that performance is probably not too important for
enthusiasts running old HP machines, and provided it's not rediculously
slow, it will be useful.

IIRC many of the smaller HPIB drive units used standard ST412-interfaced
hard dreives with MFM controllers, and thus the standard data rate for
those. The next stup up used ESDI drives, again in the standard way.
There were a few larger units that used a HP's own HDA (8" platters?) and
electronics, presumably those were faster.

But I would think that any modern flash device would be comparable in
speed, if not faster.