TRS-80 bootable media request

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:39:48 CST 2010

On 2/25/10, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> Is that available anywhere now?
>
> I gave away my last handful of copies of it at VCF years ago.  It was CP/M
> 1.4?
> I don't think that it was any good for running any commercial CP/M
> software.

So if I understand this right, you'd have to recompile any application
source specifically _for_ this environment?

>> Is it a "difficult" mod?  I.e., would it be worth rolling a modern one?
>
> A sandwich board under the Z80, with a few chips.  Could probably be done
> simpler if you're willing to cut traces on the Model 1 board.
> But, I do NOT know the details of them.

OK.

>> > There were also hardware mods for the Expansion Interface to run 8"
>> > drives.
>> I'd guess those aren't too difficult to implement these days.
>
> It was a sandwich under the FDC, not to be confused with the Percom Data
> Separator sandwich, nor the Percom Doubler sandwich.

I think my Model I expansion chassis has some form of density doubler
sandwich (and a serial port mod, too).

>> Interesting to know now.  When I was in High School, we had one Model
>> III and one Model 4...
>
> When running TRSDOS, they were virtually indistinguishable, unless you got
> down deep enough into it to go after the additional RAM.

That would be why I never noticed the difference - for that "class", I
stuck to BASIC (I was doing assembly on my C-64 at home, but not at
school).

Thanks for the informative responses.  I'll probably just stick with
some flavor of TRSDOS on the Tandy hardware and jump over to a Kaypro
or S-100 box for CP/M.

-ethan