Compaq Portable II - Restoration Problem, Help requested

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Sat Jan 2 05:47:01 CST 2010

I received 2 copies of each diskette that Tom created for he and I.  My
Compaq Portable III booted both the setup disks successfully.  (also no
write protects were killed in the testing)

The images are created from Soft Paq's that I archived before
ftp.compaq.com had them removed, and are not copies, but rather
generated from those utilities.  If anyone needs more information on
those let me know.  I have both the 720k and 360k versions.  Tom was
careful to use blank diskettes in a high density drive, etc. to create
the 360k ones I tried.

below is a link to the splash screen from the setup disk

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=206530&l=73238a90bc&id=1795637800

The bootup process includes a few second delay, then a long seek, then
about 10 seconds of short seeks / chatter, then another long seek.

Tom is hearing none of this, so it is sounding like something very early
and very fundamental.

Hope this unleashes some other ideas for him.

Jim