Anti-mod measures (was Re: desoldering problems and technique)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:46:12 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Or the early Commodore PET computers with holes drilled through the pads for additional RAM chips. Of course, once again, nothing really stopping a determined hardware hacker from bridging wires to the severed traces...

I have one of those - I wouldn't call them early - it was the "dynamic
PET" model that could take one or two rows of 4Kx1 or 16Kx1 DRAMs, so
long after the SRAM PETs (which I _would_ call early).  If you bought
the 16K version, they sent you a board with a bunch of ~6mm holes
between the unused RAM spots.

For mine, I could run all the missing wires and drop in 8x 4116 chips,
but I happen to have a CPU-socket ROM/RAM adapter, so I can just
supply the missing memory with one SRAM and get multiple ROM versions
for "free".

-ethan