desoldering problems and technique (and amiga 2000 mod)

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Mon Jan 4 13:02:20 CST 2010

Brian Lanning writes:
>On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Does anyone know why the connectors were left off the board in the first
>>> place? ?It seems kind of silly since they went to the effort to route the
>>> signals and have the holes drilled.
>>
>> To save $0.50 per slot, I'd imagine.

>This kind of thing makes me insane.  I would have gladly paid another
>$1, or even $10, had they just put the parts on the board.  I have a
>hard time believing (i.e. prefer to believe) that this would be purely
>a cost cutting move.

More insane things have happened. Witness the VAXstation II RC, where
RC stood for "reduced configuration". DEC took a perfectly normal Q-bus
Backplane, with installed edge connectors, then filled the edge connectors
 with epoxy to prevent users from installing third-party peripherals. All
to sell at a price lower than the normal Microvax II's (about $6K IIRC.)

When DEC found out that folks were taking advantage of them by buying a
VAXStation II RC and swapping out the backplane, the responded by pouring
The epoxy so that it glued the backplane to the chassis, as well. A few folks
Got these and then managed to chisel out the old backplane.

Tim.