Altair 680 power supply...

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 19 14:05:37 CST 2010

> On 18 Jan 2010 at 21:21, Tony Duell wrote:
>
> > Similarly I learnt the German symbols for logic gates (the AND gate
> > looks like what you'd expect, the OR gate looks like an AND gate -- it
> > has a straight back -- but the input lines are continuted across the
> > symbol to the curved face), but now use the normal US sysmbols when I'm
> > drawing schematis, since everybody else does. I can still read a
> > scehamtic using the German symbols, of
> > course (nad often have to ;-)).
>
> I'dve thought that the EU would have changed over to those dreadful
> IEC symbols by now (BS/EU EN 60617-12:1999).  I stumble through those

Oh, officially we probably have. But I've not met anyone who uses them.

> with my nose held.  It's like reading a musical score that's been
> reduced to text with note names and durations.  There's no visual
> "flow".

Oh, and don't get me started on the related subject of schematics that
have not been drawn by electronic engineers. A good schematic should be
instantly recognisable for what it is. Not a 'pretty' arrangement of
symbols on the page.