VSV11 on pdp11

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 14:14:24 CST 2010

> "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> >
> >> I'm curious though, what software took advantage of the VSV11?
> >
> > I know support exists for RSX-11M+, but that is about all I know.
> >
> > I have one 3rd party PDP-11 video card, and while most likely have RSX-11M
> > software for it, I lack the means to actually hook it up to anything (or
> > anything to hook it up to).
>
> I can fill in a few details. More later, if there is interest...
>
> The VS11 and VSV11 are graphic subsystems for the Unibus and Qbus (the
> VS11 is a VSV11 and a bus adapter, ISTR).

It is. The bus adapter is the generic DW11B, which can be used to link
just about any Q-bus devices to a Unibus machine

> I have never played with one, but have some basic documentation that
> mentions it. It is definitely supported under RSX.

I've never worked with one either, although I think I have the printset
somewhere. From what I rememebr the VS(V)11 had a processor built from
2901s in it (I forget how many of them). I also can't rememer if the
microcode was in ROM or RAM (but I think the former).