scandoubler/flicker fixer etc. recommendations

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 17:13:20 CST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> I mean, from the old 512x256 resolutions up to the 1024x768 would scale up
>> nicely, accepts BNC, SOG, and whatever we else use on our lovely boxes ?
>
> Some thoughts on this.  Off the top of my head, I have the following
> requirments; 1280x1024, 640x480 (VGA, Amiga 3000, Atari TT030), and NTSC
> (8-bit computers and various video game systems).

I've had great results from the Highway 100 scan converter.  It's a bit
pricey, but produces a rock-solid scan-doubled image from my Amiga 2000 in
interlaced 640x480 mode.  It even supports the somewhat (well, very)
oddball color output from an Apple IIgs.

> Another thought is this.  Are 1600x1200 (4:3) LCD panels available new?  All
> I see now are widescreen monitors.  I should have purchased a 1280x1024
> panel when they were easily available, but didn't, and I would need one that
> would work with both Sun and SGI.

Unfortunately, 4:3 LCD displays in sizes much above 17" are simply not
manufactured anymore.  The vendors have decided that all anyone wants to
do on a computer is watch video content, I guess.  Probably need to watch
eBay.

Steve