6809 SBC (was Editor religious wars (was Re: Museums))

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jan 29 14:04:21 CST 2010

On Jan 28, 2010, at 11:23 PM, Ben wrote:
>> It'll do a good bit more than that. My high school used a UniFLEX
>> system
>> that was a 2MHz 6809 with about a dozen 1200-baud terminals. It
>> was used
>> to teach Pascal. Interactive performance was typically pretty good.
>
> The Missing 6809 UniFLEX Archive
> http://www.rtmx.com/UniFLEX/index.html
> This needs to mirrored.

   Whoa!  Mirrored.

>> And you do realize "PDP-11" spanned some two and a half decades
>> and more
>> than a dozen implementations with a huge range of processing power
>> ranging from "wimpy" to "big clanging brass balls", right?
>
> Yes, but the PDP 11 was designed to have raw power from the original
> design. OK, they goofed on a basic address space of 18 bits.

   16 bits, actually.  The two MMU architectures extended that to 18
and 22 bits.  I wouldn't call it a goof considering the first one
came out in 1970.  For a small lab minicomputer in 1970, 64KB isn't
bad at all.

> The 68000
> comes close in design but offhand I still think the 68000 had only
> 16 bit addressing*. I do know it took a few revisions of the chip
> to get
> a MMU for it. By this time I moved from a COCO II to a PC clone
> and never got to play with well designed chips.

   You did that to yourself, man. ;)  And who on this list only has
one computer?

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire