Happy 4th, and more apple 2 questions

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Jul 5 15:43:07 CDT 2010

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> It's been a long time since I used a CP/M card in an Apple (like not
> since 1984).  With the strangeness of Woz's disk controller design,
> I'm guessing you need hardware-specific-formatted disks, but can
> anyone confirm/refute that?

That is correct.  Apple CP/M has a unique GCR format.  Same HARDWARE
issues as Apple-OS.   When I did the upper level (file system) software
for "Apple Turnover", I did Apple OS, Apple CP/M, ProDos, and Apple Pascal
formats.

SVA (Sorrento Valley Associates) made an accessory disk controller for
Apple ]['s.  I don't remember whether it supported MFM, or just FM, but it
did support 8"

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com